Last updated: October 30, 2023
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small text file stored on your computer or mobile device’s memory, and only the webserver that issued the cookie can process it. A cookie collects standard internet log information or behavior information, which afterward may be used for such things as facilitating your interaction with the website or analyses of website usage. A cookie cannot read information stored on your hard drive, run programs on your device, or deliver viruses.
How is a cookie classified?
A cookie can be classified on a few dimensions including time (‘session’ or ‘persistent’ cookie) and purpose (‘strictly necessary’, ‘functionality’, ‘performance’, and ‘targeting / advertising’ cookie).
- Session Cookies
Session cookies are only stored for the duration of your visit to a website and are deleted once the browser window is closed. For example, when you close your browser window, a Support Forum authentication cookie is removed, and on a subsequent visit to the website, you will again need to fill in the login information for the Support Forum.
- Persistent Cookies
Persistent cookies are not deleted after closing your browser. For example, your username may be remembered for the log-in the next time you sign in for the Support Forum.
- Strictly Necessary Cookies
Strictly necessary cookies are needed for a website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you such as setting a privacy preference.
- Functionality Cookies
Functionality Cookies enhance your use of our services. These cookies are used to personalize content for you such as showing your name and remembering your preferences.
- Performance Cookies
Performance cookies allow us to monitor the use of our website including the pages you use, the length of time on a page, and other performance metrics.
- Targeting / Advertising Cookies
Targeting cookies are placed by third-party sites and advertising partners, so they can build a profile of your interests. These cookies track your browsing habits so that you can later be shown targeted ads on other websites and apps.
What first-party cookies do we use?
A ‘first-party cookie’ is a cookie that is set by our website, components of our website (e.g., our plugins, content management system, and web analytics service), or our Support Forum. You can adjust your browser settings to not accept these cookies; links to instructions are available for popular browsers towards the bottom of the page. The following are first-party cookies set by our services:
We use the Cookie Notice pop-up plugin to garner consent on our website. The Cookie Notice plugin sets one cookie on your device, and it collects no personal data:
Google Analytics 4 (GA4)
- _ga distinguishes users and lasts 2 years.
- _ga_<container-id> used to persist session state and lasts 2 years.
myBB sets a number of cookies to make our Support Forum functional. Support Forum cookies will set cookies only upon login. The cookies the Support Forum sets will depend on how you interact with it. These are the common cookies:
- sr-research-support_loginattempts stores the number of login attempts and lasts for a year.
- sr-research-support_mybb[lastactive] holds information regarding the last time that a Support Forum page has been loaded, in the UNIX timestamp format. It expires in a year.
- sr-research-support_mybb[lastvisit] stores the last time a user visited the Support Forum in the UNIX timestamp format. Expires in a year.
- sr-research-support_mybbuser stores the login information for the Front End and lasts for a year. It is set when a user logs in and is removed when the user logs out. The unique identifier and the login key are stored in this cookie.
- sr-research-support_sid holds the current user’s Session ID. It expires when the browser session ends.
We use the TranslatePress plugin for the translation of our website from English to Chinese (Simplified). It sets the wp_lang cookie.
- wp_lang tracks your language setting (either English or Simplified Chinese) for our website. The cookie expires when the browser session ends.
WordPress is web publishing software used to create websites. We use WordPress for this website, and it sets a cookie called wordpress_test_cookie.
- wordpress_test_cookie checks if cookies are enabled on the browser to provide an appropriate user experience. This cookie expires at the end of your browsing session.
What third-party cookies are used?
A ‘third-party cookie’ is a cookie that is set by a third-party website. While you are browsing a website, a third-party website may also set cookies on your device. Should you wish to not accept these cookies, you can adjust your browser settings to not accept these cookies; links to instructions are available for popular browsers towards the bottom of the page. We do not use any third-party cookies.
How do I adjust browser settings to control cookies?
How do I contact you?
SR Research Ltd.
35 Beaufort Drive
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K2L 2B9
Phone: 613-271-8686 | Toll Free: 1-866-821-0731 | Fax: 613-482-4866 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org