Researchers use the gaze patterns of infants, children and elderly people to gain insights into the development of cognitive, perceptual, social and linguistic processes. While early research generally used video cameras and painstaking manual coding to determine where participants were looking, in more recent years eye tracking has become a dominant technique. Easy to operate, and with minimal data loss, high sampling rates, outstanding spatial accuracy, and fast recovery times, EyeLink eye trackers are now used in many of the top developmental research laboratories worldwide.
- The EyeLink 1000 Plus can be combined with an , which allows infants to be positioned comfortably on a parent’s lap or in a car seat / high chair, and the screen and eye tracker adjusted to suit them.
- The allows users to track infants and children in schools / nurseries and homes, or when a large display screen is being used.
- Special IR illuminators enable tracking across the entire lifespan, including young infants who may not have fully pigmented irises.
- The ability to swap lenses in head free-to-move Remote Mode allows researchers to work with a larger or smaller head-box as appropriate.
- Multiple routes for synchronizing with other recording equipment such as .
- The is ideal for research with toddlers .
- , it can be set up in minutes in nurseries, schools, day-care centers, and homes.
- Operating in both head-stabilized and head free-to-move Remote Modes, the Portable Duo provides laboratory grade data in non-laboratory settings.
Stimulus Presetation Solutions for Developmental Research
SR Research Experiment Builder is a powerful but very easy to use graphical interface for experiment creation. We provide a wide range of templates for common infant / developmental tasks, including Habituation, Preferential Looking, Anticipatory Looking, Accumulated Gaze and many more.
- ensure rapid and effective calibration.
- ensure trials start when the infant is ready, and help keep them on task.
- Create highly responsive tasks – launch attention getters or quit / recycle trials gaze-contingently or on key-press.
- Easily using custom movement patterns.
Eye tracking functionality and Data Viewer integration can easily be added to existing experimental scripts written in a wide range of third-party software solutions, including E-Prime, Presentation, MATLAB and Psychtoolbox, and many more.
Data Analysis Solutions for Developmental Research
SR Research Data Viewer makes the visualization and analysis of eye tracking data very straightforward:
- View data in , or modes.
- Create and at the group or trial level.
- Output containing hundreds of gaze variables at the Trial, Interest Area, Fixation, Saccade and even Sample level.
- Automated calculation of common metrics such as Dwell Time / First fixation time (for preferential looking tasks).
- Group trials or participants and color code their event data for informative visualizations.
EyeLink Data Files can also be read directly into MATLAB or R, or converted to ASCII for import into a wide range of other software packages for further analysis.